BUENOS AIRES._- Some 2.8 percent of voters in Argentina guaranteed the win of conservative candidate Mauricio Macri, with the country now swerving to the right with a narrow margin and ending 12 years of a nationwide popular project.

According to official estimates, 12, 903,047 of the 25,100,961 valid votes -which account for 51.4 percent- were in favour of Macri; while the remaining 12, 197,914 ballots -48.6 percent- were for Damiel Scioli, the candidate for the “Frente para la Victoria” (Front for Victory, FpV).

BUENOS AIRES._- Some 2.8 percent of voters in Argentina guaranteed the win of conservative candidate Mauricio Macri, with the country now swerving to the right with a narrow margin and ending 12 years of a nationwide popular project.Taking a quick look at the results of the first presidential run-off ever in Argentina’s political history, it may be said there was a polarization of votes between representatives of the ruling party on one side, and the united opposition on the other.

That was precisely the idea of the call made, since the very beginning, by the leaders of the opposition parties: to join forces to overthrow the FpV.

This objective was not accomplished in the first round of elections on October 25 because the leadership of the Cambiemos (Let’s Change) alliance that nominated Macri refused to join Sergio Massa and José Manuel de la Sota, representatives of the dissident centre-rightwing Peronists, whose factions formed the coalition known as “Una Nueva Alternativa” (A New Alternative, UNA).

In fact during the first round of elections, UNA –which groups together Massa’s “Frente Renovador” (Renewal Front) and Sota’s “Democracia Cristiana” (Christian Democratic Party), featured as the third leading faction in the Argentinean political panorama, with 21.6 percent of votes.

During the November 22 elections however, the leaders of Cambiemos and UNA, especially those from the latter group, made a wise move for one common goal: to defeat the FpV led by President Cristina Fernández.

The statistics speak for themselves: Scioli and the FpV suffered a major blow in Córdoba (71.5 to 28.9 percent), while in Buenos Aires they won by a narrow margin of 2.2. percent (51.1 to 48.9 percent), thus corroborating that they failed to attract enough number of Peronista voters from Massa’s front.

The division within sectors of the disintegrated centre-leftwing, particularly among progressive enthusiasts represented by the Progressive, Civic and Social Front of parliamentary deputies Margarita Stolbitzer and Victoria Donda, finally helped tip the balance in favor of the right.

Interviewed by The Havana Reporter, voters from the Progressive Front, who belonged to a middle class that benefited from the economic achievements attained by the FpV government, voted for Macri.

The Socialist Party of Hermes Binner and leftist trotskyst factions called to leave the ballots in blank, something that always benefits the candidate with the majority of votes, according to polling firms.

For the political analyst Hernán Brienza, the political sector that represents ideas, cultural forms and the economic interests of the ruling sectors was able to do what it took old conservative liberals around 100 years: coming to power thanks to the vote of millions of Argentineans.

According to Brienza, it is not bad news. They were able to articulate a competitive political mechanism to play with from the institutional system; yet not free from new instruments.

Also joining this situation is a powerful weapon: the press, which was used during a fierce offensive to cause hatred and rejection of the nationwide popular project, especially its leader Cristina Fernández, among the electorate.

According to Brienza, in an astute political marketing strategy, the assessors of Cambiemos managed “to put together a candidate that would leave the narrow lines of real economic power but who at the same time would generate delusions of aspirations in popular sectors that link the middle classes to the working classes”.

The merit of the media crusade in favour of Macri, the analyst noted, was to have questioned and interpreted extensively “enclaves” in popular sectors.

“It’s an evidently evil but effective deception. Telling the truth is not enough in politics; it is necessary to communicate effectively. The wrong truth is related to undesired electoral results,” Brienza concluded.

Share on FB Share on TT