Varadero’s shield paints a true picture, combining concentric circles representing aborigines, a Spanish fortress symbolizing colonial rule and a linear representation of the ten families from the local Cardenas area who first established the villa.
The mix of timber-built Spanish tiled dwellings were first officially recognized on December 15, 1887. Varadero became increasingly renowned for its natural beauty and an increasing number of regattas.
The uniquely beautiful sands of Cuba’s most famous resort, which covers an area of 26.6 square kilometers, lie 140km east of Havana on Cuba’s northern coast.
Local authorities have announced that consistent with the national development of tourism, the area will offer 20,500 roomsby the end of 2015 and that by the end of 2016 the “Las Conchas” complex -- presently under construction for operation by the Gaviota group – will add a further thousand to this total.
There are also three more hotels, a water park, and the so called “Glass Tower” for those with a head for heights, under construction in Varadero.
Varadero was discovered during the circumnavigation of the Island, by sea-faring Spanish explorer Sebastián de Campo in 1508 and the first mention of the heavenly oasis is on a 1540 Alonso de Santa Cruz map.
Following the annihilation of the indigenous aboriginal population by the colonizers, Varadero became a refuge for escaped African slaves and pirates such as Francis Drake, who stopped there to resupply his vessels en route to the British ruled islands.Share on FB Share on TT