Remedios, a small town in the central Cuban province of Villa Clara, is attracting an increasing number of tourists, drawn by its culture, traditions and colonial charm.
Of particular interest is the San Juan Bautista de Remedios parish church, an example of the sanctuaries that were the first buildings constructed by the Spanish in the towns they conquered after plazas and town halls.
The San Juan Bautista de Remedios church in San Juan de los Remedios, built in 1692 over the structure of an earlier church dating back to 1570, is considered to be the oldest in Cuba.
The surrounding area supported a stable population dedicated to agriculture and livestock and even before the settlement was formally granted the title of “villa” in 1578, the original stone church was mentioned by bishop Juan del Castillo in 1570.
San Juan de los Remedios, known to all as Remedios, is a town founded in 1513 by Vasco Porcallo de Figueroa, who followed in the footsteps of explorer Diego Velásquez, in the north eastern province of Villa Clara, formerly Las Villas.
This was the eighth villa founded in Cuba by the Spanish, although it is considered by some to be the third oldest such settlement on the island after only Baracoa and Santiago de Cuba, both in the east of the island.
Five kilometers from the north coast and ten kilometers by road from Caibarien, Remedios was declared a National Monument in 1980 for its conservation of various styles of 17th century Spanish architecture.Share on FB Share on TT